Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Buick Electra 225 Limited

How do I find all of my spottings outside of uptown? Well, sometimes I ride around, and get lucky--other times, I explore new tools in aiding in my car search. Ever since googlemaps came out a few years ago, I have been using as a tool to find and scout out new and unfamiliar areas; although google last visited Minneapolis' poorer areas in 2008, I tried my luck in seeing if any of my internet spottings were still there. Fortunately, out of maybe fifty cars spotted, only seven or eight were there; this Buick Electra is the only car on the street that remains; all the other google spottings from this street are gone--either crushed, or donked.
I previously featured an Electra that I shot much closer to home--and that one was in much better condition. This one, though, doesn't look all that bad... until you get up close.













I'm not quite sure what to make of the front grille treatment; it is not at all stock, but surprisingly aside from the dual Buick badges (wtf?), the chrome-capped fascia doesn't look awful. It doesn't look right, but it could be a whole lot worse. Turning my attention to the side, I noticed a bit of tinworm on the lower fenders, but honestly that's to be expected--it's a Minnesota car for crying out loud, it isn't going to be perfect. The color suits it well; it's a period color, and it honestly looks okay with the Buick rallyes--this color I think would look better on a Cadillac or maybe a Pontiac. The vynil roof looks to be in pretty good shape, too. I find that extremely satisfying because that means that there's likely no serious roof rust.
What I find the most interesting is the continental kit, or the appearance of one, anyway; I've never seen a fullsize Buick with one, and it honestly just looks weird.
I do appreciate the fact this big Buick is in respectable shape, and could easily be saved if the owner wanted; I don't whether this big barge even runs, considering the old-style license plates, but I'm sure it could be made to do so--that is, unless it's been sitting ever since google spotted it in August 2007. That might be a problem. One can only hope its not the case, but I suppose being dead is better than being donked--maybe.

1 comment:

Jay Wollenweber said...

Best I can tell, it's a 1971 Electra with headlights off of a '75-76 car. The Limited badges belong on the C-pillars. Not sure what they're doing on the quarter panels. The fake continental hump added on the back and the chrome grille topper just look out of place.