Sunday, July 15, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Triumph Spitfire

I've always had a thing for British roadsters; I think the TR-6 did it for me at an early age, then my love for little Brits was further enhanced by the likes of the MGB, and later I learned more and more about the AC Ace cum Shelby Cobra. Tossing all that aside, though, I really began to develop an interest in British cars back in 1999 when I was visited London for the first time. Discovering brands like Triumph (not just the TR-6 mind you), Morris, Rover, and other various makes made me appreciate the British car industry as a whole, made me wonder "why did we never get most of these cars in the US?" I suppose a few Britons could ask the same about classic Camaros, Corvettes, and whatever other US-built cars they seem to lust after. Growing up fascinated with British roadsters, one of the cars that quickly became my favorite Triumph was the Spitfire, and up until now, the later ones. Why, you ask? Because up until now, the later ones are all I've seen; two brown ones, a few green ones, and yellow one. This early blue model looks infinitely better than the later cars for several reasons, most notably the lack of "big bumpers." I detest big bumpers on almost anything, and foreign cars (namely British cars) are the single biggest culprit. I spotted this awesome Spitty in a slightly-shady area, about a block from last week's Buick Le Sabre and Electra; upon initial reaction, I was stunned, but at the same time, I kind of expected it--that area of town is filled with quite an assortment of interesting and obscure cars. The hue represented on this classic Brit is brilliant; definitely not a common color for any Triumph, let alone one as seldom-seen a Spitfire. The tarp over the interior is a shame, because I imagine its just as meticulously looked after as the body, wood wheel and all. Rolling stock of choice are Minilite wheels; something most people have a love-it-or-hate-it affair with. Me? I straddle both sides. I quite like these wheels (as well as the various derivatives of them), but I do think there are other choices. Problem is, Minilites are the Torq Thrusts of smaller. foreign cars. This is likely the cleanest, and by far the coolest, Spitfire I've seen. I'd gladly drive it as is, or maybe put in a hopped up Rover 3.5 or maybe even a small Ford V8. possibilities are endless, but I'd want to possible make this little Triumph "Spit Fire."--from the exhaust that is.

No comments: