Thursday, July 19, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Chevrolet Impala

OWhen I think of big cars, brutes like Chevys venerable Impala come to mind. No surprise then, that more than half of my Chevrolet sightings consist of some manner of Impala. First introduced in 1958, the nameplate has long been a staple of "luxury" among the GM circle. Fitted with a whole range of engine and transmissions, the Impala really was the upper-crust sedan for middle-America. Four doors, two doors, hardtops, sedans, and convertibles, the lineup included a bodystyle for damn near everyone. It's no wonder that the Impala heritage continues to be strong today. It seems that every summer, I tend to shoot a vast array of Chevrolet's most popular lineup this side of the Corvette, and I'm not ashamed to admit that. I've always had somewhat of a soft spot for these big boats, and seeing one that wasn't donked or completely restored made this find that much sweeter.





Like the last Impala I posted, I did not carstalk this one; it was a completely random spotting. I saw it a couple nights before this in Uptown, but since I was working, no pictures ensued. As luck would have it, I did see it when I was free. From across the street, it looks like a nicely kept four door. Even up close, it definitely isn't too shabby. Obviously, the drivers' side doors look a tad out of place, but at least they're rust-free--I hope. Aside from the minor setback, the car is complete, and pretty nice. I like the rolling stock, too. 1980s-s era American Racing wheels give this big Chevrolet a cheap movie vibe, but that's no bad thing. I can easily picture this one sliding across wet pavement chasing some baddie in an equal vintage Dodge Polara two door, or perhaps even a Dodge Aspen. Or would this be a candidate for being chased by a square-body Crown Victoria police car? Either way, the wheels scream "car chase." The dealer plaque on the trunklid is a neat touch, too. I know its becoming a tad cliche to write about how cool those are, but I love em-always have, always will. I've always been a fan of old-school script on cars, from dealer plaques to manufacture font, and this Impala is no different. The Chevrolet font unmistakable, and I would almost call it timeless. Almost as timeless as the Impala nameplate itself. I've always liked this generation of Impala, and this one is no different. Despite my shooting hoards and hoards of them, finding and shooting Impalas never gets old--regardless of time of year.

2 comments:

Jay Wollenweber said...

Not a bad '65. I like that it's a 4-door sedan and looks to be a 283 or 327 small block car at that. I don't see very many sedans at all since everyone seems to save just the coupes and convertibles.

Kate Dunkin said...

Thank you for sharing this article and photos with us of that '65 Chevrolet Impala with us! I came across your blog while I was online looking for American Racing wheels, I recently just got real into cars and I heard those are really good wheels. Even thought I don't know a lot about cars, I must say that's a really cool looking automobile.