Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale

I already showed off the red Centurion, and I featured a blue Delta 88 a couple days ago--now let's get back to some formal colors for GM's personal luxury convertibles. I know these cars from about a block away--and my hunches were right.
I spotted this one just off France, in a neighborhood I've never really though to check out. In an area littered with Prius', Highlander Hybrids, and the occasional Honda Civic, this classic Olds was the only thing that stood out. And for good reason-- aside from being the only older vehicle in that area, it was also the only domestic in a four or five block radius. Was a cliche sighting for me? Maybe--these Deltas aren't exactly rare birds perse, but I still love them all the same. I know that these shots were rushed, as the composition isn't great, but it was nearing 100*; not quite what I'd call habitable temperatures, much less outside.










By now, readers should be aware of my fascination with GM's forgotten cars--I don't like the Caprice convertibles as much as I like these--and I have no idea why, either. Black is probably one of the better colors for these cars; not only does it make this big GM appear more upscale that it already is, it hides the length fairly well. Though I wouldn't call these "long", they do have presence. Wire wheel covers, minimal chrome, and a color coded roof certainly make this Delta look the business.
While I'm used to seeing blue with navy blue, red with white interior, and silver with gray interior, the black with maroon interior is probably the classiest combination I've seen; I didn't get a good look inside as I was a bit nervous to do so, but black over maroon is probably the combination for these; luxurious, classy, and not over-the-top; I love it!
Despite the run-down looking appearance, with a coat of polish this big Olds should be as good as new; I'd clean out the interior as well, then I'd drop the top and cruise. After all, what's the point of having a big convertible if you're not a cruiser. That's what this Delta 88 is all about, and that's what it needs to be doing instead of lingering outside someone's house.

1 comment:

Jay Wollenweber said...

1975. Looks like one of the cleaner ones you've posted, and definitely a classy color combo!