Saturday, July 14, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Buick Skylark

Yesterday, I brought readers one of my favorite Oldsmobiles; today, I give readers the pleasure of viewing one of my favorite Buick models of all time; the Skylark--particularly this generation. I don't really like the 1968 or 1969 cars that much for the same reasons I don't like the same year Pontiac LeMans, Tempest, or GTO, and Chevrolet's Malibu and Chevelle. Likewise the Oldsmobile Cutlass. It's not often I see a car multiple times without shooting it, but that's the case here. I see this clean Skylark numerous times per day, and all days of the week; it's owned by someone who works at a food shop, and its used as their delivery vehicle. Not many older cars are used as a daily driver here in the rustbelt, and even less of those vehicles are in outstanding shape as this good ole' Buick Skylark is.
















Upon first notice, this classic A-Body looks pretty good; no bling, no evidence of bondo,and certainly the paint color is normal for once. Riding on Buick Rallyes, this 'lark fits my mental picture of what a Buick from this era is supposed to look like. In the early 1980s, this would have been an ideal "used car", but today this car can pass for a "summer car", especially in our area.
As a casual observer to these cars, I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, but one car buff on a site a frequent commented on the presence of Buick GS bits on a non-GS. Okay, so I likely wouldn't have known unless I was told so; I suppose that means the bits (the hood and steering wheel) fit quite well here. And I agree. While this is no show car, this Skylark has presence on the road. It's less common than its Chevrolet Chevelle counterpart, and its less likely to be preserved even further down the road.
To that, I give kudos to the owner for preserving (and cherishing) such a unique vehicle. I have long liked these, and it's great to see one that isn't either cut up and made into a donk, or transformed into a trailer-queen show car that never gets driven. I'm glad this isn't a high-spec GS, or GSX; normally, I'd prefer the nicer version of said "muscle cars", but sometimes a base model is okay too.
I still have fun spotting this car, even if the owner doesn't really get why I like his vehicle; oh well. Not everyone is a car enthusiast just because they have a nice/noteworthy vehicle.

No comments: