Monday, July 16, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Pontiac Grand Prix

A few days back, I brought readers an Oldsmobile Cutlass 442; now, I want to take time to look at a more plebeian G-body--this Pontiac Grand Prix. Often heralded as a somewhat sporty vehicle, at least in some of its more modern offerings (particularly the GT and GTP versions, as well as the Turbo Grand Prixs of the early-1990s) many Pontiac fans often forget that the Grand Prix was also a bread and butter vehicle. Up until the 1988 redesign, a four door was not offered. Up until then, the Grand Prix was a two door car that focused primarily on luxury, at least up until the end of the Malaise-era. This white example is something I would expect to find being driven by an older owner who very likely bought this car new. This is not the five year old, ex-Avis special sitting in the back-corner of Jalopy John's Used Cars, nor is this the car the W-Body.com members would lust after.
This late 1970s example is a good candidate to represent what Minneapolis looked like thirty years ago--and its not often that someone preserves what is technically a bottom-of-the-barrel midsize GM two door.













When I first saw this Grand Prix parked along East Lake, I was honestly shocked; I don't see many undonked G-bodies of any vintage, let alone the not-quite-favorite early 1978-1981 bodystyle. Finished in stock white, and wearing its factory hubcaps, this is almost what I would call a time-capsule car. Unlike the last 1978-1987 Grand Prix I blogged, this example showcases no rust, visible or otherwise. Nor does this example show any sort of accident damage; if I had cropped out the modern cars, someone would be hard-pressed to say these pictures weren't taken in 1985. That's how clean this example was.
Inside, the story was much the same; with the exception of a dash-top compass, which may or may not be factory, this old Ponch looked as good as new. A peek inside revealed almost no wear to either seat, and all the woodgrain (yes, I know it's fake) looked impeccable. Truly a feat for any GM car to be honest.
I don't even like this bodystyle, and I was quite impressed; not everyday does a pedestrian-spec G-body come this clean; and judging by the handicapped placard, I imagine that this one is going to stay in its current state--for good.

No comments: