Sunday, July 8, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Buick Centurion

When I found my first Oldsmobile Delta 88 convertible, I thought I found love at first sight--for 1970s barges at least; I've grown to love them, almost to the point of shooting every single one I see parked. But lately, I've been exposed to the Delta's corporation twin, the Buick Centurion. The first one I saw was a complete rustbucket, but I loved it--almost enough to replace the Oldsmobile counterpart as my favorite GM big boat from the 1970s.
Sadly, here in the rustbelt, these cars fall into two distinct categories--vehicles that need various repairs to make them nice again, or top-notch cars in stunning condition with nearly-new everything. It seems that most of the Deltas and Buick convertibles I find are in the latter, with a few examples making it into the former category.
I don't see many Centurions--or any Buick convertibles for that matter, so spottings are cherished--I often stay excited for days on end after spotting one, much less shooting one.








I first spotted this one cruising Lyndale, and I was stunned to see it actually moving--not because it's in slighty-worse-off for shape, but I've never actually seen a red Buick vert; most of the Buicks I see are formal colors--black, white, navy blue, etc. Red seems like a non-typical choice for these cars, but I have to say it looks good--even with the slight patina shown here.
With its black interior and rallye wheels, this example would look amazing cleaned up; even as it stands, it's got presence; something most Buicks--certainly the ones of today (and the last ten years) lack.
I'm often sad about cars in decaying condition, but this Centurion makes me happy; this is the only time I've seen it parked, and I've seen it driving numerous times, in all seasons, which can only mean one thing--the owner loves it. And that's what owning a classic car is all about. The owner is old enough, though, that this Centurion could very well be "just a car"--and that's what makes this one so special. I certainly don't see this very often, and I definitely can't shoot or don't feel comfortable shooting the ones I see driving; this one was a big bonus for me, and is possibly one of my favorite GM cars I've blogged this year.

1 comment:

Jay Wollenweber said...

1972. Not too shabby, just could use paint. This is one of the best looking Centurion model years, in my opinion.