Sunday, July 25, 2010

New Cars 2010/2011: Mercedes E-Class Wagon










For 2011, Mercedes has redesigned it's E-Class lineup, and has thus made it even more bland than the outgoing model. What's sad is the fact that I still don't care about the sedan enough to even go near it. I haven't cared about the sedan since the original E36-to-E55 AMG, to be honest. The front is a mishmash of square and diagonal styling that would look right at home on a yatming rip-off of a last generation E-Class. The rear end looks like that of a Mitsubishi Galant, and I often get the two mixed up from behind. Sad isn't it?
I love station wagons, and in general, cars that look boring as sedans end up looking fine as a wagon. With the new E-Class? Uh.. not so much. Most of the car is the bland new E I despise. The "wagon" part of this car, unlike that of the last-generation car doesn't make up for the lameness of the sedan. Instead, my reaction is "oh, a wagon. " instead of "oooh.. niiiice".
Inside, it's sort of that mundane "oh, it's a Mercedes" feel. Nothing too spectacular, just some nice leather (which to be honest doesn't feel leather), and a plethora of airbags. What really annoys me, though, is that damned steering wheel. Seriously, when a steering in a Mercedes looks like an XBOX-branded product, you have a problem.
Then there's the whole price issue. An E350 4Matic (6 cylinder, all wheel drive), will run you about $65 large. And that's at the cheaper end of the spectrum. I am hestitant to even ask what an E550 will run, let alone an E63 AMG (if indeed it does make it over). For that kind of money, there are quite a few other cars I'd want, namely the upcoming CLS-based wagon. Hell, I'd take the upcoming Hyundai Sonata Touring over this steaming pile of blandugly. Sorry, Mercedes, your excuse for a new E-Class wagon doesn't cut it for this wagon enthusiast.
Shame, really, because the only wagon I desire from Mercedes at the moment is the C-Class. Too bad they won't bring that little guy stateside.I can still dream right? At least Audi still makes the A4 Avant, and BMW still has its 3 Series Touring.

No comments: