Thursday, July 15, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Chevy El Camino Conquista










When I was a tot, cars and trucks that are now all-but-forgotten now were widespread. One of my favorite "niche" vehicles was, and still is, the Chevy El Camino. I love the looks of the '78-'87 mostly, but even those are becoming scarce now. I chose to photograph this one for two reasons: one, it's ungodly superclean, and two, it reminds me of my childhood days.
As an elementary schooler, I would pass by one of these everyday, on my way to Pinckney. Finished in this same color combo, right down to being a Conquista. Living on a street full of then-new Chrysler minivans and Saturns, the Camino was one of the more interesting everyday sightings. Then, in sixth grade, I noticed it wasn't there anymore; it had been replaced with a S-10 extended cab with a crappy camper shell. Even as a pre-teen, I knew a basic S-10 was so much of a downgrade.
This example, as my photos illustrate, is in impeccable shape. Not an ounce of rust, and nary a scrape, I'd almost call this a one-of-a-kind example living up here. The paint is phenomenally shiny, as if it's washed and waxed daily. Even the badges appear to be showroom fresh. Either this is a well restored model, or the owner is fossil-aged by now. I didn't get any pictures of the interior, but damn if it wasn't in the same shape as the outside. Inside, right down to the cheesy steering wheel, it looked fresh. Truly a sight to behold, especially in the rustbelt. I mean, damn, most of these things are gone by now.
At the rate this one's going, it'll likely live to see another twenty years, so long as it doesn't get donked. Honestly, with all the donked cars around, I'm surprised there are still some left for me to blog. And this one better not meet that fate. As stupid as it is, these things have a special place in my heart.

No comments: