Monday, July 26, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Willys Wagon







I encounter quite a few older trucks and SUVs on my daily grind, but since I'm usually off focusing on errands rather than shooting, none get shot. This Willys was different. Since I bike this route every day, I figured it couldn't hurt to pop by the house at half past three and see if the big brute was there. Sure enough, it was. Out came the camera!
Like the Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer that came after it, the Willys Wagon was a go -anywhere, do-anything true SUV, that focused more on utility than sport. Produced from 1946 till 1965, over 300,000 were sold, and that's in a time when people didn't use trucks like this as family transport. Damn. No leather, no power steering, and you can be damn sure it didn't have ABS, or even power brakes, on earlier models. Hell, I'm not even sure if the early ones had seatbelts. How's that for bare-bones?
Finding something like this in Minnesota is pretty awesome! On city streets littered with rust-laden newer model compacts, in an area where 90% of the vehicles have windows missing and three flat tires, this thing definitely stuck out like a sore thumb. Sadly enough, it appears this vehicle has inherited the effects of our winters. Rust abound, some of the trim is missing, and the paint is all but shot. You know what? I don't care! I'd drive this sucker right here, right now! And to all you yuppies clogging up my neighborhood, you can be damn sure that this bigass beast is a million times cooler than your white 2009 RX330 that you feel is so important that you need to mow me down with it. Just wait. This thing may come up behind you and scare you shitless, forcing you to spill your Starbucks all over your prized Armani shirt and Gucci handbag And when it does, I'll be biking beside you laughing at you.

No comments: