Thursday, July 22, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Ford Model A







Like I explained earlier, this week has been awesome for me in terms of blog-worthy material! Most cars I blog, I happen upon them while exploring new territory. But this story has a twist.
I headed over to my usual 38th and Nicollet in hopes of finding more vintage European vehicles for this spot. Instead, I got something totally unexpected, but in my opinion, a tad better. Now, don't get me wrong, I love old European roadsters bunches, but I never would have thought I'd happen upon this old guy.
Unlike most cars of the 1920s/1930s, this Model A hasn't been hacked up into a cookie-cutter street rod, and I'm glad. Paint and body weren't quite immaculate, but they were extremely nice for a driver. Same story goes for the chrome and brightwork. As expected, the nearly 80 year old chrome had some pitting, but do you really expect true flawlessness out of a daily driver?
The interior, while I didn't get any pictures, was as clean as the exterior. All the correct trim and pieces were intact, and functioned fully. One feature that piqued my interest is the still-working horn. I sort of wish cars still had funky horns. Wait, no I don't. I don't want a Chevy Cobalt making an intimidating sound.
While I love cars from the 1970s onwards, I am still warming up to this vintage. Maybe if I saw more cars from this era driving around, I'd begin to understand it more. As it is, cars of this era often get a "meh" reaction from me at most. At least there is one unrodded car of this era left.

No comments: