Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Triumph TR250






It seems my experience of biking around Minneapolis has paid off; not only have I built up my tolerance for endurance riding, I've discovered many hidden nooks and crannies that hide awesome cars I otherwise wouldn't ever see. Case in point. Just off Nicollett Ave and 38th St, sort of in the ghetto is one such place. Quality Coaches hides in a non-descipt warehouse that looks like any other auto parts store, save for the Borrani wire wheels in the window, and occasional "MG Service" neon sign that's lit up once in a while.
While I have no doubt found scores of interesting cars here, I seem to be quickly warming up to, and identifying various Triumphs by glance. I'm new to the world of classic British roadsters, so every new spotting is helping my learning curve. This TR250 is no exception.
I love the TR6s, hate the TR7s and 8 with a passion, but the TR250 (TR4/TR5 in other parts of the world) is right at home with me. It's a slightly sexier version of the TR6. Being the TR6' predecessor, it undoubtedly looks a tad bit nicer, because it's older. See a pattern here? This example was amazingly cute. Finished in a gorgeous not-to-deep teal color with a silver hood stripe, the color combination was awesome. It's quite different from what I'm used to, but it works well here. The wheels are Minilite replicas and look stunning here, not unlike many other applications I've seen.
If it were up to me though, I'd put some numbers on it, and throw on a chrome minihoop rollbar like those on Shelby Cobras. Unlike the Cobra, I'd leave the stock "big six" in it, and use that for racing duties. I am undecided on whether I'd leave the wires that came stock, or go with Minilites like these. Heck, maybe even some wide 4 spoke Work-type wheels would do the trick.

No comments: