Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Buick Special








Usually, my quest for vintage iron tucked in the city limits yeilds nothing older than the mid-1960s. This week, however, my riding around scouting out old cars has paid off-- in a big way. Along with a cliched tri-five Chevies, and hundreds of first gen Mustangs and Camaros, a few specialties came my way. This is the first one.
When I spot a 1950s era vehicle that isn't a Chevy I become thrilled. I become even more thrilled when I find it parked, or that it is in the process of parking. This Buick was a good catch for me. Just off 38th street, I glanced over to my right, and I had to do a double take. Not only is it a car more than 50 years old, but it lacks collector plates!
Like most vintage iron, this example comes with imperfections throughout. Though the paint is solid, and the trim is amazingly complete, there are some bondo patches here and there. Nothing too noticeable, though. Like the paint, the trim could use touch up. While it is all there, the chrome has lost its once-gleaming luster. I reckon a good polish could fix all that, though. Same treatment could be applied to the chrome "moon caps" I thin they're called. They look good as is, but I think this Buick would look better with polished (chromed?) steelies.
As for the engine, I have no idea what resides under the hood. I'm betting whatever it is could use some period speed parts to aid in the acceleration and noise it emits. I'd love to hear this car with a good exhaust. Glasspacks perhaps? But if you're gonna go that route, might as well gave it a tad of a rake in the back, and put traction bars on it. Just writing this out gives me a cool mental image of this beast as a period correct drag racer. I can just see this thing lining up behind where Alek's Import Service is, and taking on some hotshot in a Fuelie 'Vette and smoking it. Damn, images like this make me wish I was alive to see it for real.

No comments: