Saturday, July 24, 2010

Minnesota Street Sighting: Saab 96

Every year, my family and I go up north to our cabins for a week of relaxing, getting away from the hustle and bustle of the Twin Cities. On the drive up, I spot hoards and hoards of awesome cars I'd love to shoot, but very rarely do I get the chance to. I'm the only one in our car that cares about other cars, it seems. So, shooting material on the way up, is a huge reward for me.
It seems as all the obscure Foriegn cars in my state reside up north, in pastures, forgotten by their often redneck owners. One such example is this Saab you see here. What once was an awesome Swedish rarity is now simply a piece of metal for sale on a desolate stretch of Minnesota two-lane. Sadly, knowing my state, some hotrodder will want it solely for the purpose of making a "unique" street rod out of it.
Cars like this fill me with mixed emotions; I'm happy to see a such a rare car like this not only saved from UPullIt, but not caked with rust either. At the same time, though, I'm sad that it isn't restored, or at least driving around.
This example was about as "nice" as an abandoned Minnesota car can get; no rust, no bondo, the trim is still complete, and it actually has factory wheels on it. In this condition, I can only hope it gets restored. You don't see too many vintage European cars besides Mercedes, and the once-in-a-blue moon vintage Audi. I think this thing would look greatt restored, or even just returned to drivable condition; at the very least, it'd stand out from all the generic new school European cars at Cars and Coffee.




1 comment:

Tyler Linner said...

SWEEET. I want it now.