Thursday, May 27, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sightings: GMC Rally Van STX

Uusally, my quest for old iron leads to me to typical 1960s GM or Ford fare, or classic British roadsters. Seeing old trucks is a rare sight, and vans are even rarer. I still see 1980s vintage vans, but seeing one older caught my attention.
As I got closer, I noticed this wasn't a run of the mill big GM van. First off, the headlights are circle, instead of square, meaning its older than 1982, but that's the only key feature I was able to note. But, unlike most vans I see, this particular version had a 4 speed on the floor. Again, unlike most vans, this one is a passenger model versus the often-seen cargo-van.
The body is great shape for a Minnesota vehicle, with no obvious rust or pitting. Sure the chrome trim is a tad weathered, but hey, it's nearly 40 years old. The trim and badges are not only still intact, but they're all there. Quite amazing, really. The design of these things is timeless; it still looks relatively modern.
Unfortunately, as with most older vehicles, this particular Rally Van is missing its factory hubcaps, but again, I think it looks better without them.
I don't recall much about the interior, save for the stickshift. I didn't get to look inside much, not only because the neighborhood I found this in is kind of seedy, but my height plays a factor too. I am too short to actively see inside without standing on the vehicle. Oh well. Still a good find nonetheless.

href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjOhTlUdVbmDCOcBCfBTK1nxBZE3MWkBltwwMs-us-Ir7FFVWc6latpc1PapJaBt8lamBXP1aYKjmRMXSa7yECL4EG1O8fgpe8YkfoG8itHI47JJLMhH0U-kIDVcJiW4yazS1K6nLIjuRVQ/s1600/IMG_1114.jpg">



No comments: