Sunday, May 9, 2010

Diecast of the Day: Gate Mazda MX-5 Miata













So, being a nut for small, Japanese cars, a Mazda Miata seemed perfect for Colin", thought a friend of mine. He got it for me for my birthday, and what a surprise it was. I opened it with nervousness, and a slight worry that it may have broken, but no. It arrived intact.
I love the first generation MX-5, as do I the second gen. This model is a premature model, so to speak. Made under Gate, this model isn't quite AutoArt level of detail, but I love it none the less. The paint and fit and finish are quite good for a model of this age, and although this casting does show signs of aging, it's nothing major. The red shines under any light, and the painted on Mazda logo is quite a nifty touch. The wheels/tires are nicely replicated, too, and finish off the exterior quite nicely.
The interior isn't bad either, although it lacks the finer details. Inside, all is matte black, from the stuck-up e-brake lever, to the shifter and steering wheel. Honestly, I don't mind that so much, as exterior is my favorite part about models; I love cars with good lines, and this little Roadster has quite nice lines.
My only main "gripes", and if you could calls those gripes, are the lack of license plates (no big deal, I can make my own), and no Mazda logo on the steering wheel, nor on the wheels. Again, no biggie. Overall, I love his decision to get me this. It fits in with my other Japanese roadsters quite well, but now I need to find a couple more, and maybe a second gen to go with it. :)

No comments: