Monday, May 10, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Datsun 1600 Roadster












Usually, when I find older Japanese cars, it's something sort of mundane like an older Z-Car or perhaps a Toyota Celica or Supra; I was not in the least bit expecting this! I'm a huge vintage Jap car nut, so you can be assured I was crazy for this cute little roadster.
First off, the paint on this thing had great "patina" if you will. Not shiny at all, but not beat-to-shit either. Like the paint, the chrome had the same finish; all the badging was correct, yet it showed the test of time. Faded, pitted, but still intact.
The fact that this thing survived up here in our hellish winters still amazes me to no end. I don't think I've seen one before, much less one in our salt-hell-hole-of-a-winter state. Honestly, as of late, this has been one of my better sighting, both picture-wise and subject-wise. Here's hoping I can reshoot it with my Nikon!

1 comment:

Keith Fellenstein said...

That's a beauty. I had one once, it was my second car, after a 1946 Plymouth. I paid 800 dollars for it back in 1975. That was a great fun car to own, but parts became hard to find back in those pre-internet days and I had to sell it. That car started out as a 3 seater, with the third seat cross-ways in the back. They also made a 2000cc version with an overhead cam, it was quite the hot rod. I used to love careening down Emery road in Lawrence in mine, that thing could hug the road. Thanks for the blast from the past.