Saturday, May 1, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Volvo 164








Usually, when a gearhead writes, or speaks the words, "classic Volvo", visions of Amazons and PV544s dance in his or her head. Not so with this example. In the stage when Volvo was experimenting with their own "look", quite a variety of headlamp/turnsignal/grille arrangement were to be had, but none so strange as this car.
The front screams "I'm different and unique", while the rest of this Volvo speaks in a soft manner "I'm just a 244, quit staring at me"; but that's what I love about oddball specimens such as this. Cars that make someone stop and think "Are you serious?" or "Hmmm.. It.. uhm.. kind of works", that sort of nature. Reactions can be good, reactions can be bad. I think these things work. No, they're not beautiful, far from it, really. Nor or they ugly. Volvos have this charm, that, for whatever reason, makes them loved by anyone and everyone. And the 164 definitely fits that bill. I've seen this particular car a total of four times since I shot it, and each time I overheard a positive comment regarding the car, or a puzzled onlooker who couldn't figure out what just passed them.
Back to the car; this particular 164 is in fairly good shape. I'm not sure if the paint is original (or even a factory color) but it looks nice, and evenly applied. The badging on this example is correct, and thankfully, all intact. No strikes there. The wheels aren't too bad either. While not stock to this particular generation or even this model, the rolling stock is Volvo. I love em. I think they're off a 780 Bertone but whatever the case may be, they look right at home. They remind of what to go for if you want the BBS look but don't want to spend BBS dollars. They fit well, and look amazing.
Unfortunately, I don't recall too much about the interior, but I don't remember it being in too rough shape. Good thing, too, because as with other European cars, finding parts in the rust belt can be a tad tricky.
Overall, this 164 was a clean example of a commonly looked-over Swede. I'd love to have one of these set up with either S60R/V70R running gear or maybe a hot-rodded turbo five. Oh, and rolling on BBS LMs if possible.

No comments: