Saturday, July 26, 2008

Minneapolis Street Sightings I Couldn't Detail Shoot Edition








I know you're wondering why I posted these guys. First off, I can't do mass shootings on every classic vehicle I encounter. So, these will have to suffice unless I run into the vehicles again, which may or may not happen.

The maroon Merkur Scorpio is an odd beast indeed. While not very popular today, they were Ford's first (and only to date) foray into the psuedo-European luxury market. What Ford did was simple. Take a car not sold here, gussy it up with extra bells and whistles, and try to pass it off as a luxury car. It was a good idea since it worked for Rover; they entered thier Sterling models here in the mid-to-late 1980s. Ford had a problem. It's Scorpio was essentially a Ford Sierra. A Ford Sierra! Now, that may not mean much to US consumers, but to folks familiar with vehicles sold in Europe, a Ford Sierra is essentially thier equivalent of the Ford Taurus. Not exactly a car that demands high dollar, even when new. So, finding one was pretty cool. What's even cooler is I know there are at least a few more running around the cities and I will find and post accordingly.


The Oldsmobile is another interesting story. This vehicle is owned by a good friend of mine (pictured stoned). The brakes failed on a hill. :( We came down a hill, and after nearly missing what seemed like 50 cars, we careened into an alley way and used a Saab (sorry asshole) and a building wall to stop.

That classic green Impala is another interesting find. Found only 3 blocks from the Scorpio in a rather rundown neighborhood, the car doesn't appear to move often. I have seen it driving, but never long distances. I would go back and try to shoot it, but.. some rather rude teenagers decided it would be fun to try and set the vehicle on fire. So.. this Impala doesn't exactly exist anymore. :(

No comments: