Sunday, April 28, 2013

Minneapolis Street Sighting: International 1110 pickup

Orphan makes always intrigue--and always will. Over the past few years, I am slowly developing an interest for non-big-three American vehicles, and since I have always been a pickup enthusiast, I am starting to look at non-big-three pickups in a new light. There is, however, a slight problem; trucks not made by mainstream marques are not very common.

My interest in International vehicles is starting to bloom quite a bit more than it has in past years; oddly enough, I am beginning to like the "favorite orphan" from the car side as well--AMC. My favorite International product right now is the Scout, but I am slowly learning about the makers' other offerings, including the pickups like this one.

I know almost nothing about the non-Scouts, so this find is a learning experience for me; and a good one at that. From what I gather, this truck is a 1972 or 1973 example, because it has the split grille and the 1110 designation; that designation also implies that this is heavy-duty model, and that it might have the precursor to ABS-braking. Sweet, and probably pretty should this one drive around in winter. Unfortunately, like most Internationals, this one seems to have been forgotten, as I see it still sitting in front of this house, with three flat tires.

Curiously, while this example does have its fair share of exposed rust, a rather hefty amount of bondo graces it, too. That would suggest that the owner does attempt to care for the vehicle, but its far too gone for him or her to save. Normally, I would scoff at such pitiful attempts to save a vehicle from rustitis, but not here. I am glad the owner is at least trying to put up a fight against cancer.

Unfortunately, it seems that the owner is losing; I see this truck biweekly, with even more bondo, and now with most of the "International" tailgate lettering turned almost all brown, and the tailgate itself looking ready to fall off at the next speed bump. At least the bumpers are still intact.

I wish the owner would try to save this one more, but it appears that this old International may be best as a parts candidate--at least interiorwise.

No comments: