Friday, April 26, 2013

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Pontiac GTO

As an enthusiast, I can't help but love muscle cars; there's some debate about what really was the first muscle car, but its hard to argue that the introduction of Pontiac's GTO ended up playing a major role in this genre of Americana. By model year 1964, Pontiac would decide to shove bigger and beefier engines into the LeMans and Tempest two-door post coupes (or would those be sedans), and convertibles; the idea behind this move is to create quick cars that are mildly affordable, and cars that also have massive aftermarket appeal.

This particular car is a second generation model, and this one is an example of the first year this bodystyle was made; 1968. How do I know?  Logo turn signals/side markers, the vent windows, and hideaway headlights. And this example also has the chrome bumper, which I don't quite like. I do admit that this one looks tons better than the 1971-1972 cars, and that's ironic, coming from someone who likes the 1971-1972 Chevelles and Cutlass' a whole lot more than their 1968 counterparts.

While I am a huge fan of classic Pontiacs, I do feel that the GTO is a tad overhyped, as it (along with the Firebird and Trans Am) is the cliche "sweet" Pontiac. 

This GTO is what I would call a good "nice-weather  driver"; it isn't perfect and it doesn't intend to be so. The paint is clean, and the trim is fairly clean as well. However, the paint intself is a bit faded, and the red hue doesn't quite make the car; it seems rather drab--and totally un-muscle-car-like. I know I am nit-picking here, but I am not quite sure I like the idea of a chrome rear bumper with the plastic "Endura" nose; yes, I realize its factory, but it just looks a bit silly.

The main thing that really bothers me about this otherwise-nice example is the damned wheels. I used to adore everything from Colorado Customs and their ilk, but looking back on it, those wheels--for the most part-- are tacky and have horrible patterns--and these are no exception. While I do admit that I rather hate these wheels, there are certainly worse choices--like say Bonspeed wheels or about ninety percent of Lexani's entire product range--so yeah, the wheel choice could be worse.

Overall, I am glad I did shoot this; I think 1968 is my favorite year for the GTO, along with a variety of other Pontiacs, and I have never spotted another one on the street. Hopefully, this summer will change that, but for now this is the best I've got.

1 comment:

Jay Wollenweber said...

Respect for a clean but not over-restored or overly dumpy GTO. Hate the wheels. Many bad things came out of the 1990s and those are one of them. Honestly I've always liked the 1969 GTO better than the '68, more so now that I know how to tell the two apart better. I didn't even know that there was an Endura-delete option on these cars. You learn something new every day.