Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Buick LeSabre Custom 455

Buicks are classy cars; cars like this LeSabre make that evident. Minimal chrome, an minimal vynil trim make this big GM stand out from other cars of the era; add six passenger capacity (with front bench seats) and a big stonking V8, and you've got a cruiser.

While most people would associate the 455 mill with loads and loads of power, when fitted into the LeSabre, the 455 had only 250 horses; loads of torque was standard, though, but that didn't shave any time of the big boat's leisurely performance. Motor Trend's road test of the car yielded a 0-60 sprint of 11.1 seconds and a top speed of 121 miles per hour. Okay, so the big Buick wasn't meant to be fast; but it still looks odd with the 455 logo on the front fenders.

I would wager that these sedans are going to be more popular as they get older for two reasons; not many have survived the demolition derby phase, and the ones that have survived are likely in very good condition (as this one here is) ; while Rallye wheels were extremely popular on the LeSabre, the ones I've seen have had full-face metal hubcaps, and arguably, the hubcaps suit the nature of the car better; Rallye wheels suggest a muscle car, and despite having a mother of an engine, performance suggests otherwise.

I have loved 1970s GM cars for quite some time, and this fullsize Buick is no different; granted, I think it looks better as a Centurion convertible, but still. The lines look great, and despite me not being a sucker for four-door sedans, I quite like this.

It's got enough dirt on it render it a daily driver, but it doesn't really show its age very well--and that's a very good thing. Does this car look like its forty years old? No, it does not.While I will acknowledge the missing trim, this LeSabre looks like something that could pass as an extra in the movie "Used Cars". Waitaminute...

I really like this bodystyle, and again, while I don't like four-doors, I am happy I shot this one; I've never seen a well-kept four-door Buick of this era, and I've certainly never seen one with all the stock badges and hubcaps in place. Well-spotted and well shot, I say.

No comments: