Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Japan has the Toyota Land Cruiser, Germany has the Mercedes Geländewagen, Great Britain has the Range Rover, and what does America have to do to battle with these incredibly rugged off-roaders? The Jeep Grand Wagoneer. I've written about these enough that I will resist rewriting an entire history lesson of what I consider America's greatest off-roader.

The formula is simple: take a proven engine or three or four, pair it with an amazing chassis and suspension setup,  build a durable body, and then line the interior with enough luxury to please the most affluent buyer, and price it accordingly.

In America, this works; buyers flocked to the Range Rover, and Toyota Landcruiser because they were marketed as upscale vehicles, and into the later 1980s and those buyers also snapped up Jeep's most opulent offering. A big V8, hoards and hoards of wood paneling, and enough leather inside to anger Rolls Royce buyers meant that this Jeep was the new king-of-the-hill as far as American SUVs were concerned. But up until this point, America really had no luxury SUV. So the Grand Wagoneer made sense; I think it would've worked even without the "Grand" being attached to the nameplate. Whatever sells, I suppose.

I really like this Wagoneer; classic color combination, and its got wood trim. The wheels, too, are factory units and are probably the best choice here. I also like the aftermarket roof basket, and the evidence of outdoor stickers.

While is an upscale SUV, its also quite the rugged SUV, and its owner knows such. I am pleased to see that this one hasn't suffered from either being made into a trail rig, nor is it a pampered showpiece. Rare or not, these do deserve to be driven.

I think this has been my favorite spot so far this winter, as I always love finding Grand Wagoneers in any shape; I am also excited that since I shot this, I have seen it at school many times. Kudos to the owner who daily drives such beast in all condition. You bought a rugged truck, and are driving it as such. I applaud you.

No comments: