Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Lawrence Street Sighting: Pontiac G8 GXP

I generally try to avoid modern cars--unless they're either modified in some odd way, or unless the cars themselves are significant to their respective marque. The G8 hits the second point right home; in 2008, right after GM supposedly restructured, the companies rolled out planned to revitalize both Pontiac and Saturn; cars from their European and Australian divisions (Holden and Opel) were brought over to the US, in hopes of moving both brands further up the ladder in hopes American consumers would once again have faith in GM. But, being GM, the company forgot the most vital part of new-car introduction: advertising.

Since the G8 came out in 2008, I never saw any billboards for it, magazine ads and TV ads were infrequent, and the only tie-in I remember being marketed extensively was one for a really cheesy video-game, in which the hero car is a heavily pixelated G8 GT. Oh, and there was a short film made with Vin Diesel as the main star. Yeah like that's a great way to attract buyers.

Anyway, onto the car itself. Enough ridiculed the stupid marketing division; onto the facts. The GXP is the top-of-the-line fullsize performance car, and being a four-door with an abundance of weight, I'd say this car goes up against the likes of the Dodge Charer SRT8 and Chrysler 300C SRT8--and possibly the Ford Taurus SHO--since the pricing was in the same ballpark. With slightly over 400 horses on the tap, this monster definitely wasn't slow--and unlike the Chrysler group's SRT cars, not all dealers received the GXP--making marketing a problem once again. Sensing a pattern here?

Either way, these cars really didn't get any of the credit they deserved; small production run, terrible after-sales service, and shoddy details really don't earn repeat customers, and its sad Pontiac got shuttered. But one little gem doesn't make up for years of producing straight-up Avis garbage-bin specials--by the millions.


I really like these--and I really like this particular car; honestly, this marks the first GXP I've ever shot, and its the first one I've ever been close enough to shoot. Honestly, I am trying to be extremely excited about this, because its a rare car. And I am--sort of.

I love the G8, and I love how menacing it looks; up close, though, some of the details bother me to no end. More specifically, the taillights--and it isn't because they're clear. The plastic fixture that the red covering is encased in just looks cheap. I understand that it's supposed to look "different", and it does. This looks like a cheap afterthought in a vain attempt to make this car seem upscale, or it looks like it was simply done to attract younger buyer. You know, the whole Altezza craze after the release of the first-generation Lexus IS in the 'states? Yeah. That.

Aside from that, I really like these cars; I am glad a continuation is being made in the form of the Chevrolet SS, but it just won't be the same. Pontiac will be missed, but I think the G8 GXP was an awesome farewell--and because they were sold in such small figures, future collectability is almost guaranteed.

No comments: