Saturday, April 13, 2013

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Ford F-150 Explorer

 While trucks are quite common here in Minnesota, most of the trucks I see on a daily basis are primarily less than ten years old, and therefore, fairly drab and uninspiring. However, there are some pickups that get my attention from a distance, and beg me to come closer and inspect said specimen. Such is the case here.

Ford's F-Series has routinely been at the top of the heap when it comes to best-selling vehicles in America, and its no wonder why; tons of engine options, different bed lengths, and a choice of cab--and a wide price range, means there's literally a truck for everyone; want a stripped-down six-cylinder workhorse, or do you want a four-door leather-clad downtown rig fitted with more chrome than Trace Adkin's one-time-hit song? Ford's got both--and a whole lot in-between.

In the 1970s, luxury trucks were not as common as they are today, and this older F-150 Explorer reflects that; this represents the fun trimline, as it was saddled in brigt (garish) color combinations, and was often sold with dealer accessories such as bull-bars roof lights and step-bars.

Going from what I was told by a member of an automotive site I frequent, this one is a 1977 model year, and I really can't question that; I don't really know these trucks that well, but I will say this truck would look good next to a same-color Pinto, or even a Mustang II notchback--preferably with white trim as well.
 I like orange vehicles, and I like white as a secondary color on a two-tone vehicle; naturally, I was drawn to this truck for that reason alone. As I crept closer, I noticed cracking on the white areas, suggesting that the white is vynil, and it has been there a long time-- probably original dealership appliques. Whatever the case may be, it looks good here. The only real thing I have against this truck is the front end damage, and since its not really body damage, it looks like a bad case of frame-warp.

I normally detest steelies on an otherwise decent vehicle, but here they work; I would hate to see white dog dish hubcaps here; the steelies look badass to  say the least. They give this Explorer a rough-and-tumble look, while keeping it classier than said white dog-dish hubcaps or white steelies would.

I really like this example, and even though I don't really like this bodystyle of Ford's longtime best-seller, I appreciate one that's been kept in original condition, right down to the period decaling.

No comments: