Thursday, April 25, 2013

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Oldsmobile Delta 88

As I continue my Oldsmobile spree, I would like to focus on what I think is an odd year for the Delta lineup; this 1969 car is one of the Delta 88s that I am not madly in love with. From the profile, it looks like a generic 1960s car, and it is. 1969 was a weir year for GM's cars; this is just my thoughts, but the only cars that looked good in 1969 were the Cadillacs. All other brands have either mismatched styling, or their cars look...odd. And Oldsmobile is no exception. The Cutlass looks awful, and that styling paired with the wagon body looks atrocious, and even their "halo car", the Delta 88 succumbed to crap styling disease.

Thankfully, by 1972, the Delta 88 would look good again; the odd front fascia would be gone, and like the Cutlass, the front fascia is what bothers me here. I do like that the Oldsmobile family front is instantly recognizable, but those headlamp clusters are also shared with many other GM cars that aren't Chevrolet. Would it be fair to say that Oldsmobile's 1969 lineup comprised of parts-bin specials? Seems a bit sad to say that, but I would say its fairly accurate.

On the surface, this Oldsmobile is a fantastic looking car; the paint and vinyl roof both show some scarring, but they're both original; ditto to the trim (both chrome and non)--every peice of trim, and every badge on this 1969 Delta 88 is straight and unmolested right down to the full-width lettering that graces the decklid. The wheels, while not original, look quite at home here aside from the wretched, afterthought fake spinners wheel nuts.

This is the exact criteria I enjoy shooting, and this one is awesome; this is the first of its generation that I would see, though I fear the fate of this example; with the for sale sign, and it being in a crappy neighborhood, I can only shudder and what might the fate of this poor Olds finally is. Will it succumb to donking, or will it be derbied? Or will an enthusiast buy it and restore it to its past glory?

No comments: