Sunday, April 14, 2013

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Subaru 4WD Wagon

In my searches for finding the right car to blog, I often scour certain streets multiple times per day, to look for vehicles I have seen in the area, but am unsure of where said vehicle resides; that's how I came upon this clean Subaru wagon.

When this car was first introduced, Subaru did not have much of a presence in America; they were a relatively obscure brand with a lineup of vehicles that all looked the same, in different lengths (sort of like Mitsubishi is seen today); there was a three-door, a five-door, and a sedan, and each was available with 2WD and 4WD (like the Impreza is today). But, here in America, the car didn't really have a "name"; it was simply sold as the sedan, hatchback or wagon, whereas it was sold as the Leone all over the world. What does Leone mean? Apparently it means Lion--in Italian; sorry, but the roar from this thing isn't that strong.  Maybe Subaru Lumaca would've been more appropriate? (It means "Snail" by the way).

Nevertheless, this is the car that built Subaru's reputation here in America, and we have this one to thank for the arrival of the Impreza--or did this one evolve into what we would know as the Legacy? Hard to say, really, but this is the car that allowed everthing after it to be sold here--including the much-hated XT6 coupe.


I actually really like this cars; I don't see them around very often, and when I do they're always beat to hell and back--usually from rust; surprisingly, this one was not--at all. I have never seen a pre-1986 Subaru this nice--ever. Probably in my childhood I did, but I am in awe at this one.

The paint is clean, bu shows some fade, and all the trim is intact--and in perfect condition to boot; its even got the factory 4WD badge on the tailgate--something I would've thought surely would have fallen astray by now. The US-spec bumpers are silly, though I do like how there is space for non-US license plates, and that means either Subaru was thinking ahead as to not design specific parts for different markets--or it was cheaper to make one part then adapt said part to each market.

I like the wheels on these; ever since I was a toddlers, I've always liked white multi-spoke wheels, on everything from cars to heavy duty pickups; to me, the white wheels mean business. And not in the "I'll kick your ass" way, but in a "I work hard on the job" way; I fondly remember white wheels on work trucks and fed-ex trucks and box-trucks of my childhood, and it was a rare sight to see them on a passenger car; thus, white wheels re-enforces Subaru's theme of longevity and durability.

I will cherish this find as one of my best finds; I never expected to find something this rare, and this clean here in salt-hell. I hope I can find more clean 1980s Japanese cars that aren't fan favorites.

No comments: