Monday, October 18, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Ford Galaxie 500













First off, I don't shoot many "rat rod"/custom cars for one main reason; to be blunt, most of them plain suck. Awful paint, cliche "period" mods, horrible/too modern wheel and tire combo, etc. Every so often, a custom comes along that makes me go "wow!". This Galaxie is the second modified ride that filled me with such emotion.
I'd seen this car about a year ago, and took a few artsy pictures of it, not knowing if it was mobile or not; I only saw it resting in a driveway.
Up close, and parked on a street, this thing has presence like no other car I've seen before; even big Cadillacs pale in comparison. As one would expect, the paint on this beast is far from pristine-- as is the trim. It's got a certain "look" to it that cleaning up the paint would destroy. The red steelies also help bring out said look. The faded, well-worn paint, the surface rust, the minimal trim..it all screams badass.
The interior of this huge Ford is awesome; it had so many little details I wanted to capture but couldn't. The bicolor, driver oriented-ness of it is amazing. All the little gauges and dials, they're all intricately detailed; you can tell serious time went into organizing and designing the layout. The "Galaxie" script on the passenger's portion of the dash is incredible. I wish modern cars still had that.
Very few cars capture the essence of "rustorod" better than this Galaxie; it's not hacked into a skewed and stretched caricature of itself, it doesn't have copious amounts of fake rust, and best of all, it's not a rich person's toy developed strictly for a magazine cover. It's an honest "custom. And I love that.

No comments: