Monday, October 4, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Chevy Impala










As you know from reading my blog, classic cars are relatively rare in Minnesota. Of this group of vehicles, it seems like GMs are the most common; it probably has something to do with the extensive availability of restoration parts, and general abundance of examples being sought after by collectors.
When it comes to the big Chevys, it seems that 1963 and 1964 cars are the most common, with later 1960s and earlier 1960s cars taking up the next two spots on the "most common" list. However, most of the examples I see are either blinged, or in generally poor shape. This particular car fits neither of those categories, thank goodness. From across the street, this Impala looked pristine. Okay, maybe that isn't the right word, since the chromed Rallyes are probably not stock items. Anywhoo, they look pretty good on this deep maroon car. The black interior sets off the paint color rather well, too. Infact, while I like white interiors on cars, I don't think I'd change a thing either.
The one thing that gets me excited about old cars is the details. Surprisingly, while this big ole' Chevy looked pretty trim-free, the emblems are pretty damn neat. I love the "Chevrolet" scripting in grille, as well as out back. In fact, the only place the Impala name appears, is on the front fenders. To be honest, I kinda wonder what a cursive "Impala" script on the rear decklid would look like. As it stands, though, this is a pretty straightforward example of a clean, unmolested Impala. And while this example isn't quite my favorite year, this bodystyle is growing on me-- all because of this particular car.

No comments: