Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Lincoln Continental

First off, I know these photos are not my best quality; in fact, they are about 3 years old. Back when I started "shooting" cars instead of merely taking pictures, I focused on quantity over quality. And it shows. I'm almost ashamed of this set of pictures; they do not do this car justice--at all.
But enough criticizing my own work, let's just focus on what this is; a beautiful 1963-1964 Lincoln Continental. When this bodystyle was launched in 1961, it became the first time Contiental would be used on a non-Mark-series car,the first postwar 4 door convertible, as well as the first car to be offered with a factory 2/24 warranty. The high slabside body style was so successful, it was copied by GM.
This example was pretty damn gorgeous. I have loved these earlier Contis compared to the 1966+ version of this bodystyle. Simply put, the coffin-grille looks awful IMO. White exterior, whitewall tires, and the only thing that let it down for me was the interior; this thing screams "I need a red interior!". I dunno why, but I don't quite like the idea of a black interior on this bodystyle. It looks wrong. However, I am glad this one hasn't been blinged like so many have. The stockers are awesome, and while I like the whitewalls, they're a bit too wide. Thinner whites would be nice, but ya can't have everything now can ya?
If it were mine, I'd change out the tires, and if possible do an interior swap. Then, and only then, would it be my ideal Lincoln Continental.







No comments: