Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Bentley Continental R















I haven't shot many Bentleys for the blog for one reason; the desirable ones simply are not common. I see Continental GTs in droves, and I frequently don't shoot them. Classic Bentleys, however, evoke a much different response; I shoot them when I find them. Four doors are extremely rare, as such I've seen only one to date. Two doors, on the hand, are slightly less rare. Still, though, this is the only one I've seen in recent memory.
As one would expect, this Continental R has "flawless" paint. Though it is a Bentley, it does suffer from the orange peel that almost all 1990s cars exhibit. Heck, this example had a couple dings in it, too. Sorta surprising, given the fact it likely cost $225k when new. On the hand, though, the wear and tear proves this R definitely is no garage queen. As with the body, the wheels had minute imperfections; three of the four wheels were marred with slight curb rash. Again, suggesting that this big British luxury coupe is enjoyed by its owner. With most exotics, I'd cringe at the thought of road use, but I find such imperfections perfectly acceptable. It shows that this owner is proud of what he drives, and enjoys it accordingly.
Would I drive this Continental? Absolutely. Would I take it over its successor? Of course. Am I mad that this particular example sports a few blemishes? Not one bit.

No comments: