Sunday, October 3, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Dodge Dart











Usually when I see "classic Mopars" on the street, I'm usually referring to Chrysler Fifth Avenues and Dodge Diplomats and the occasional mint-condition K-car or minivan. It's not very often I see a pre-1970 Mopar that isn't a cliched Charger or E-Body, so when this Dart sedan presented itself, I jumped at the chance to photograph it. Upon asking the owner some questions about the car, it's clear he only has the car to be "cool". I asked a simple question "what kind of engine does it have?" and he answered with a quite lame "A Dodge one. It was in the car when I got it." I asked him more technical details such as V8 or slant 6 and he kinda pushed me away. Obviously, a real car guy there.
From afar, this example looked pretty good for its age; it showed no obvious rust or bondo, and the paint, as far as I could tell, looked original. The badging was in great shape, and the trim (what little of it there is, anyway) seemed to be in great shape, too. Even the stock "poverty caps", as we enthusiasts call them, were still on the car. I'm honestly impressed. I thought most people swapped out the caps for some aftermarket Cragars by now. Obviously this vehicle is a daily driver, though, due it the dirt/grime on the lower rockers. and wheel wells. Aside from the road grime, this thing looked perfect. For all I know, it could be a southern car.
I didn't really examine the interior as the owner was hovering over me, hounding me with typical yuppie-ish "why do you like the car?"-esque questions. I got tired of his big mouth, so after I got done shooting, I left. At least he keeps his Dart in good condition. But that's only probably because he doesn't know anything about how to modify it or "customize it" to his needs.

No comments: