Wednesday, August 18, 2010

New Cars 2010/2011: Mazda 2







Like it's sister car, the Ford Fiesta, I have been anticipating the Mazda 2 for well over a year. In fact, I checked Laird Noller's site almost every day of the week to see when they were coming in. The minute I saw one pop up, I had to go down to check it out.
As with the Fiesta, the example Laird Noller had on display wasn't the greatest; it wasn't even midgrade. This model, with hubcaps, and cheapo tires was exactly that-- the basest model Mazda offers. Oh but it has an automatic transmission. Despite that niggle, I''m still quite fond of the little guy. I have a Matchbox or five of Mazda 2.
On the internet, I've searched and searched for pictures of the 2, and despite all my picture findings, this is one of the few cars that surprised me in person. It really does look like its smiling at you, and not with the silly grin on the 3 either; the 2 looks happy to see its owners. You could say it looks happy to be in US, even.
I didn't get a chance to check out the interior, but I am saddened that no leather is offered at all. It does have the obvious power amenities, though, which is nice. Even without the leather, the 2s interior is well thought out for a car of this class. And look, the gauges are in the proper position!
While I have only seen the base model so far, I have quite high hopes for this cute little bugger. I only hope the Fies2wins do as well over here as they have done in Europe. Bring on the small cars, and fill our roads with these instead of Expeditions, please. :)

No comments: