Monday, August 2, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Ford Galaxie 500








Wow. It's been awhile since a featured a big old Ford on this blog. As luck would have it, we got new neighbors, and they drive something cool! Stand out in a sea full of Priuses, Lexuses, and Expeditions this beast does. Like my other neighbor's Ferrari, you can pick this Galaxie out in one glance. Not only is it two times bigger than all the other cars, it's not beige, silver, or white either.
This example, like a fair number of the cars I feature here, suffered from daily driver syndrome. It's got bumps and bruises, scrapes and cuts abound, but it soldiers on.
As noted, the paint is pretty decent shape save for the actual crash damage up front. Although faded to all-hell, the hue does appear to be the factory hue supplied by Ford, which is good. It has a certain "patina" if you will. The chromes bits are all intact, too, including the DEKE Ford plaque on the trunk thus letting folks know where it was purchased. Unlike most 1960s cars I see here, this example is free of bondo or giant rust holes. Sadly enough, though, it likely suffers from severe rot underneath. I didn't get a chance to examine the interior, though, but I would assume it's in the same condition the body is in. Not pristine condition by any means, but not elevated to beater status either.
As it stands, I would gladly drive this example, but not before removing the hubcaps and chrome trim. Why would I remove those two items you ask? If I'm gonna drive it, I'm gonna drive it Dukes of Hazzard style, and I don't want to ruin irreplaceable trim pieces. I might as well sell the hard to find parts to someone who needs em. But that scenario would only happen if I drove this. Like most cars on my block, this thing doesn't get driven much. I can only hope I don't watch this classic Ford become one with nature over time.

No comments: