Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Cadillac Eldorado











Over all the blogs and shootings I've done, for the most part, classic Cadillacs seem to elude me. Either I see them too late to shoot, or they're in unblogworthy examples. In some extreme cases, both conditions apply. That's not the case with this sweet Eldorado, though.
I've been car-stalking this thing for since the beginning of May, and just recently I caught up with outside an upholstery shop on the west side of the city. No doubt it won't stay stock for long, if the vehicles inside the shop were anything to go by, so I shot it for memories' sake.
The paint on this thing was in great shape, showing no wear and tear; nary a rock chip even. Blue on the outside, white on the inside, I bet it's gonna get some ice cream paint job. Blech. It looks great as is. Despite the guy's crap taste in music, he seems to keep the car in pretty good shape. Interior, too, is relatively stock save for the crummy-ass Grant steering wheel. What was wrong with the original wheel? Not tight enough dogg? It seems to be in great shape mechanically, too, which is a shock, considering I've seen this thing driving hard, bobbing over speed bumps, and peeling out (yes, it's FWD.)
To be honest, though, this generation of Eldorado is far from my favorite-- perhaps it's my least favorite. Everything works design-wise except for those taillights. Although I can't fault Cadillac alone for this styling blunder. 1969 (which I think this is) was a lame year for GM in general. While some of their cars looked good, others were merely so-so styling-wise; Camaro, Chevelle, Cutlass, Firebird, LeMans, Malibu, and a few others I can't think of. I much prefer the 1971-1972 cars from GM as a whole. Slightly chunkier styling on heavy cars works. Maybe that's what I prefer the Challenger to the Camaro. But I won't go into that. I'll just let this Eldorado be enjoyed in its former glory, and save my Camaro bashing for another time.

No comments: