Tuesday, August 17, 2010

New Cars 2010/2011: Ford Fiesta








Like most foreign automakers, Ford has just realized that building a better small does count. So for 2011, the Fiesta is finally gracing our shores. I've been anticipating this car for over a year now, and I'm ecstatic at its arrival. However, this midrange example is far from what I expected.
Fit and finish is excellent for a Ford product; they've certainly improved since the Aspire, that's for sure! But, the paint, the body trim, the wheels.. it all feels somehow cheap-- and it is. For $13,000 though, you can't really go wrong. I'd much rather have this little guy than a Yaris or Fit. Hell, I'd take it over a Versa. Even the midgrade model. I expect the SES to be quite a bit better, with all its extra amenities, nicer wheels, body kit, and non crappy tires and exhaust.
Inside is where the cheapness really shows; the dash, like most Ford products in caked in an ungodly plastic that makes the whole interior seem like a Tata Nano competitor. The seats are awesome though. Even my somewhat round frame had no trouble sitting down and getting comfortable. I like the layout of the controls, too. Easy to read, reach, and touch--something that cannot be said of the Yaris or Versa, and I won't go near a new Fit. Honda uglied it up too much.
With the base S coming in at around $14,000, and top level SES' approaching $21,000, Ford has a Fiesta for everyone. Even the quirky European colors arrived in the US intact. So, get shopping. Pick your color and name your price. I guarantee you'll have yourself a better compact car than the idiots who bought a Yaris thinking they're so cool because they have a Toyota.

No comments: