Friday, August 6, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Volvo 122S







Yesterday I brought you a little European roadster; today, I'll bring you a European two-door sedan. I've seen a fair bit of wagons out my way, but two-and-four-doors are not as common. Two doors are the rarest of the bunch in Minnesota. Like all vintage cars, rust is quite the problem on these old Swedish tanks. I often see the 122 family either missing half its trim, or caked with rust. In extreme cases, both symptoms are present.
Thankfully, this example was pretty decent. While not pristine by any means, it certainly looks like a decent driver. The paint was faded, the trim, for some reason, was gold, but at least it was in clean shape.
Inside, sparseness rules. No A/C (windows were down in the 92* Minnesota weather.), power probably nothing, and it was littered with bike parts. I'm guessing this old Swede is someone's daily transportation. I betcha with the 4 spd (like this one had), it gets pretty good gas mileage, too.
If this clean Volvo 122 was mine, though, I'd either totally restore it, or race it. For that, I'd gut it, put in a decent rollcage, and do some suspension mods, and obviously stickier tires. On the other hand, for a total restoration, I'd strip off the gold crap, and those foglights up front. I like them fine, but they don't suit a restored vehicle. Or, I could simply leave it as is, and enjoy a rare offbeat classic car.

No comments: