Monday, August 23, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Ford Mustang








Throughout this whole journey, I've featured nary a first generation Mustang, and with good reason. While the 1971-1973 cars are first generation Mustangs by technicality, they certainly look quite different than their earlier siblings. Like most "common" classics, a good number of the first generation Mustangs I see are usually sporting modern wheels, matte paint, and have various tasteless body mods done to them; seeing a pretty stock example is a treat to the eye.
Unlike most classics I blog up here, the paint and trim on this vehicle looks pretty immaculate; no bondo, no misalignment, and certainly no bubbles peering through the paint. The same story goes for the wheels, which I am thankful for. I am one of the few that seems to appreciate stock wheels on vintage Mustangs. Not that Torq Thrust, or Bullitt style wheels look bad, per se, but it seems like every "modded" classic Mustang, first gen or otherwise, has the same wheels. It's quite refreshing (and quite better looking) to see an old pony still using stock fare.
The interior, too, was in excellent shape. Hard to believe this example is more than forty now. Interiors of the 1960s to about mid 1970s have this certain "timeless" appeal to them; they looked good when new, and look relatively modern today. While the non-airbagged steering wheel, and possible lack of seatbelts wouldn't meet today's requirements, I can see where the idea for the new Mustang's interior came from. Still, though, I'd like to see more "retro" interiors in cars without making it gaudy (attention Chevrolet Camaro.)
I can only hope this example stays clean, and undonked/gangstered/thugged/whatever. As a car enthusiast, I am hurt by the lack of classic, unmolested classic cars now. It is my believe that over 50% of the classic cars on the road today are in the hands of "ballers" who have no idea about the history of "the whip". I'm glad the homies don't like the Mustang, and it makes me happy to see a stock looking non-generic color still on the road today. Let this little pony live another forty years. I know it can do it!

No comments: