Monday, August 9, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: BMW 2002







I love night shooting. Not so much for the cars, but the whole funky light aspect of it. Most often than not, I don't see much at night save for the odd drunkard trying unsuccessfully into a taxi and failing. Oh yeah, and then there's the whole drunk-guy-who-wants-me-to-take-his-picture thing.
In a night filled with obnoxious blinged out Escalades and the occasional roaring police car, this cute little Bimmer was an awesome find; it certainly stood out sitting along an uncommon barren Lake Street. This example was pretty nice, especially for a Minnesota car. No rust, no bondo, paint was shiny, and it had daily driver plates to boot. How cool is that!?
A closer inspection of this little guy revealed that this is an early example. Euro bumpers, older wheels, and lack of US-exclusive items make for one stunning Bavarian/German coupe. The red paint looked amazing in that light, almost seeming a tad orange. The hubcaps were in such incredible shape, too. What a wonderful little car! The interior looked to be in the shape as the outside, so I'm gonna take a stab and say its owner deeply cherishes it. And let's face it, only a fool wouldn't cherish a fine automobile.
What's funny, though, is I had quite a few people ask me what it was. Some couple (they may have been drunk, so..) asked me if it was a "1950s Mustang. Really!? A Mustang!? Are you blind!? Then about 10 minutes later, some older guy asked if it was an Edsel. Seriously? An Edsel? I mean, I get that not everyone is a car person, but asking those questions are the equivalent of asking if a Murcielago is a Chrysler LeBaron. Some people..
In the end, people like that almost make my night-time adventures seem worth it. I love what I'm doing, and I love sharing my knowledge with others. Even if said "knowledge" seems almost like a "Duh!" thing.