Sunday, August 8, 2010

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Ford Galaxie 500








As I've stated before, in Minnesota, cars don't last long up here. Seeing anything older than 1980 is a surprise for me, and when I do see vehicles fitting that category, it's at a car show. Most of the pre-1980 vehicles I see are either blinged, or are in the process of. So seeing this Galaxie was a treat for me.
Like most examples I shoot for this blog, the paint isn't exactly pristine, but it is the factory color. From across the street, the finish looks respectable. While not matte per-se, the luster is long gone. In addition to the exterior condition, the interior, too, was a bit battered. At 40+, though, what do you expect? It's in better-than-restorable condition, heck, I'd even say it's in better shape than most "drivers" I see here. In the state it's in, it looks like a car you'd see in a TV B-movie. The generic moon wheelcaps only enhance that imagery.
I could imagine this car with a little cherry police light stuck on the roof, flying over hills and crashing through alleys and trash whilst chasing the bad guys. On the other hand, I could envision this beast wit the speedo needle buried, running down a desolate highway with a CHP Monaco in tow. Ya think I've seen enough generic car chases in my life? Nope. I don't think so. I'm gonna watch Duel again.

No comments: