Monday, February 4, 2013

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Volkswagen Rabbit Caddy pickup

Volkswagen has a history of building impeccable small cars, and making a rather sizable imprint on the small-car segment in the United States; it all started in 1978, with the introduction of the Rabbit on our shores. Yes, the Beetle was a hit, too, and still is, but the Rabbit helped pushed Volkswagen through the late 1970s, when import buying took off all over the country.

Pretty soon after the launch of the standard Rabbit, a pickup truck was introduced, called the "Caddy"; these thing never sold in the numbers that their more conventional counterparts did. Add to that the typical early Volkswagen rusting issues, and you've got a fairly rare piece here in the rustbelt. Kind of explains why this example came from Oregon doesn't it?

Spotted on a quiet residential street, I've seen this thing around quite a bit, and wasn't sure if I'd ever have the chance to shoot it. Fortunately, about a month after first encountering this rare beast, I took the opportunity to give this little trucklet a thorough walk-around.



Aside from the bent front bumper, and missing centercap, this little Caddy looks pretty good; paint fade is imminent, but I suppose paint fade is better than rust. Fitting with a topper, this little guy looks pretty good--I don't think I've ever seen one with a topper, and now I wonder why; it looks better than a Dodge Rampage with a topper, that's for sure.

The chrome and other time is in good shape, though the US-spec overriders certainly ruin the appeal, but that's to be expected; regs have a habit of ruining styling on imported vehicles.  What's funny, is these overriders could pass for those on US-spec Lamborghini Countachs as well. That says something about how screwed-up our regs were.

I didn't get to peer inside, but I would imagine that its the same as the exterior; not overly worn, but not in pristine shape. Wear, but not much tear; I would label this one a "looked after survivor". Obviously not a showpiece by any means, but far from a basketcase.

I've gotta say that this Caddy is one of the nicer ones I've shot, and it definitely makes the inner-Volkswagen geek in me a happy camper. Literally.

No comments: