Saturday, February 9, 2013

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Lincoln Town Car limousine

Most of my sightings aren't "rare" or "special" cars by many accounts; sure, they're rare for up here, or at least, really nice (or really crusty) examples of vehicles that used to be everyday cars and trucks; every so often, I catch something that is clearly out of the ordinary. I developed a love for hearses a few years ago, when I started paying closer attention, and shooting more and more of them; limos, however, took a sideline. Why? Because.. well, I don't see many of them, for starters. And most of the ones I do are cliched, 1980s-era Cadillacs that look like they could easily be found at the no-credit car lot for $800 down whilst needing three times that in bodywork.

 I almost never see Lincolns, though. I've always liked this generation Lincoln Town Car; Besides the 1961 to 1969 cars, and the 1977-1979 cars, this bodystyle is my favorite of the bunch; no other Town Car since these has looked elegant. while being a bit "muscular" as well. I've not seen a limo of this gen in person for quite a while, so seeing this one was an awesome change from the norm; while it's about as tattered as a Ford Transit basking by the British sea, this Town Car still has a certain aura about it; almost as if it knows its in dire straights and wants to be saved.



Limousines are awesome--and they always have been. But what happens when that shine and prestige wears off? This happens; they become neglected and left to rot in the elements. This Town Car was a pretty classy car once, hence the name. Sadly, being left outside has done a number to it. It might not be as bad as it appears, though, because at least there isn't any rust forming--or present, for that matter.

Sure, the car is caked in dust and grime, but once that's gone, the paint should resemble a new car again; white with gray is always a classy combination, and this stately Lincoln wears it well. I'm not a fan of the antennae/thing on the decklid, but I suppose it serves as an aerial?

The rolling stock, too, is less than desired; I mean, c'mon, who puts these dinky-ass hubcaps on a limo? Never mind that the 'fifth wheel' is the wrong hubcap for Lincolns, nor does it match the shittastic hubcaps sitting on all four wheels. Bad move, guys; I do suppose it fits with this once-proud limo's neglected image, though. If anything, they help bring it down to "crap" level instead of "prestige".

I am shocked that a limo would be left to deteriorate, but I guess it's inevitable. Cars don't last forever unless we maintain them--and that clearly isn't the case here.

No comments: