Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Toyota Corolla wagon

The Toyota Corolla (and its Camry sibling) have always been known as boring cars among car-folk, but that's mainly the newer ones with the whole beige stigma. However, despite being a boring, bland car, certain versions of Toyota's long-lasting subcompact-turned-compact have garnered a "cool" factor lately. Now, obviously, if someone puts together "Corolla" and "cool", chances are they're blabbering on and on about the AE86; nothing wrong with that, but the AE86 isn't the only cool Corolla around.

Chances are, if you grew up in the early 1980s, you'd think differently; I grew up in the 1990s, and even then, these weren't that common. I don't remember seeing these very much in my childhood, but I assume that they were sold in Lawrence, but probably in small numbers; I've seen more sedans than wagons--by a longshot. 

In 1985, the Corolla went front-wheel-drive, and aside from the AE86 coupes and hatchbacks, the coolness all but disappeared; it was almost like Toyota decided to take the fun out of driving for their best-selling car--and it all went downhill from there. One by one, Toyotas got lamer and lamer as the sporty models started disappearing for good. Thankfully Toyota isn't Honda, as I would probably be sued right about now. 
 As I stated above, I do quite like these; I've loved wagons for the longest time, too, and I have a soft spot for vintage Toyotas. Yes, I can call this "vintage", since it is over thirty years old now.  Now, obviously, this is a far cry from today's Corolla, and for good reason; for one, Toyota actually built sturdy cars back in the early 1980s; you'd think that old 'yotas would rust or at least develop surface rust, but honestly, I haven't seen any of these here with iffy cancer--they're either mint or close to it, or they're a lost cause. This one was pretty damn mint, and with a couple hours of claybarring, this probably could pass as  "used car" circa 1986.

I was mostly impressed--not only by the awesome condition, but by how original it was, right down to the dealer plaque on the liftgate; if this is the same "Freeway" that sells Fords now, they've done business for over thirty year--which honestly is quite a feat in the ever-changing dealership
 landscape.  I think this car could go on to be one of the nicest classic Toyotas in Minnesota--even though this obviously wasn't intended as a sports car, it's been well kept. And for that alone, I think this is probably one of the coolest Japanese car I've shot.