Friday, February 8, 2013

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Dodge Ram Horizon 170"

Over the past few years, I've developed a growing interest in RVs and campervans; same with conversion vans, but that's another story entirely. I recently have become fascinated with GM vans, but the Dodge-based campervans are gaining my interest. Like the GM campers, the Dodges are fairly common around here, but mostly its the newer vans that are still around. Pre-facelift vans are scarce here for a number of reason; the most common reason for their rapid disappearance is rust--particularly around the rear wheelwells.

This also did in the GM and Ford vans, too, but it must've been more harmful to Dodge's vans, because while I still GM vans and Econolines from time to time, these old Dodges are damn-near impossible to find; that's a shame, because I sort of like these--especially in camper trim.

I haven't seen many out my way, and I haven't seen many growing up in Kansas either; maybe that's why I am drawn to them? I know I do dig the Dodge trucks from this era, too, so maybe that's where the interest comes from.


Honestly, this camper is in good shape; yes, it shares scars of daily use, but nothing too extreme. The paint, while faded, is still in good shape; the brown decals/trim is heavily faded, but the fact is, it all remains on the vehicle with no peeling, ripping, or even minute tears.  I'm not feeling the little space under the headlights, but I guess that's the result of stupid headlight regulations that were in place in the 1980s, but what can you do? The wheels on this example aren't my first choice; I'd prefer some period Dodge aluminum hubcaps on steel wheels, but these newer Ram van wheels don't look horrible.

Obviously, I didn't peer inside so I can't comment on the quality inside; it would appear that this does have a sleeper, and probably a kitchenette too; I'd like this as a recreational vehicle. For me, it'd be the perfect road-tripped. Not a huge camper, but big enough to sleep me, store my clothes, and whatever else I needed to bring with me on my cross-country adventure. I'd gladly sport this, even though I know I didn't take very many pictures of it. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

too true you are on how hard they are to find ive been searching for the 1989 year model for a long term road trip and its been rough still hopeful though !