Friday, February 22, 2013

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Chevrolet Lumina two door

I'm just now coming to terms with the fact that the cars I grew up with are now bloggable if they're in good condition still; like the Caprice, the Lumina was a fairly popular car for Chevrolet, expept for the two-door model. Good thing they realized that early one, and canned the two-door after the first generation. Oh wait. In 2002, the Lumina was put out to pasture after serving its twelve years on the scene, and was replaced by a rehashed Impala--which carried the tradition of being a big, family car that was relatively cheap--in both quality and MSRP.

 Not even in drier states like Kansas did many first generation cars survive; I can't recall seeing very  many Lumina two doors at all; and now I know why Ford didn't make a two-door Taurus.  In any event, these things are quite a bit rarer than the sedan counterparts, and I wasn't expecting to see one here. On that note, I don't think I've seen any early Grand Prix coupe here either; the most common W-Body car here in Minnesota is the Cutlass Supreme coupe--and even those are getting fairly scarce now.


 Initial first reaction to this one was pure shock; for one, I've never seen a Lumina two-door base model before until this one, and two, I've never seen these hubcaps on a two-door before either. Even the normally hated fender trim doesn't look terrible here--and it was likely applied when this guy was new.

The paint on this example is immaculate--and I do mean immaculate; I don't think there was a mark on this thing's entire body; hell, this thing even has factory "Lumina" mudflaps". Certainly, the owner cares about this car--and that's what makes this thing even more so; it's an oft-forgotten model that's been saved--and could potential live another twenty years

I normally don't like these, but I had fun shooting this; I hardly ever see two-doors that aren't the special models, and since this one was in such immaculate shape, I now have a new standard to compare future potential Lumina two doors.

No comments: