Thursday, February 14, 2013

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Mazda RX-7

I've always been a fan of Mazdas, and I've enjoyed the RX-7 from an early age; I think first ones I can actually remember identifying on the road were the FCs, and I knew what these were by the time I was about four or so. To me, these symbolized sporty imports as a child. I didn't know much about Japanese sports cars besides the RX-7 and Nissan 300ZX and earlier Z-cars. This (and the equal vintage Z-Car) are what I learned to associate with popup lights before  I learned about the Corvette.

I obviously didn't know bodycodes when I was little, but I always called these the "80s RX-7", and even at about three or four, I was right. The FD3S debuted in 1991 as a 1993 model on our shores; these were available from 1986 to 1992 on our shores, and were available in a larger variety of models than the successor, the FD was. I would wager that the FD is more popular here in the US, but the FC is still an awesome car.


I love this car; I love FCs, and I've been wanting to shoot one for a good while now; and while this one isn't entirely stock, it isn't a bad example. Sure, the paint could be glossy, and it could be stock height, but what fun is stock, when the car isn't yet considered a "leave-it-stock-asshole" classic yet?

Honestly, I love the stance on this; it's pretty low, but not enough so that it scrapes ground like that damn tC I posted up yesterday--and damn these wheels. While most non-wheel guys would think these are BBS wheels-- they're not. They're wheels from a 1998-2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX--and they look badass here. I love laced-pattern wheels, and these are a subtle--and quite nice--change fro the normal idea of throwing BBS on everything. Well done, and well spotted I think.

No comments: