Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Chevrolet Caprice

I realize that Caprices and Impalas are almost cliche now--for car enthusiasts of all walks of life. But here me out; in Minnesota, thanks to a certain trend, these cars are getting more extinct by the day, much less rust-free examples. There are two main reasons these cars are getting much harder to find--demolition derbies, and donkriders.While I admit the donk game is changing, and some of the cars look very nice, I find it sad the "ryderz" tend to go after clean cars with no rust--such as this one here. Granted, the things are now being done up rather subtly compared to five or six years ago, there is still no excuse for hacking up a clean, low mileage, original car.

The demolition guys always start with the beaters, and tend to ruin them even more, and in their quest to build a demo car, they often destroy what they don't need. Why? Because rednecks. That's why. I hate demolition cars not only for the destruction itself, but the fact that most demolition derby cars aren't really car guys; they just like destruction. Most of them swap engines and throw whatever parts they can onto a demo car, without thinking about how well the shit goes together.

 And that, my readers, is why full-size American cars--particularly the full-size Chevrolets are disappearing. In large numbers.

I was shocked to see this example; not only is this one super-duper clean, it's original too; right down to the fender skirts, the landau roof, and all the intact badges. I'm not sure if this one qualifies as a time-capsule car, but it's pretty damn close. This is honestly the nicest stock one I've seen in person--and I took a bunch of pictures to savor the moment.

The beige hue looks dull--I'm not gonna lie; it suits this big boat well, though. I'd rather it another color, but stock is good. This looks probably as it did new--and that's a very good thing. Not many left.

Even though this one is for sale, I applaud the owner for keeping it so nice for so long. Shame it's next owner probably won't do the same. As time passes, we lose more cars like these. I can only hope that this one was saved--if not, yet another clean car falls victim to donkrydin homies who don't know "bout tha whip".

No comments: