Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Minneapolis Street Sighting: Chevrolet Lumina Z34










As readers can sort of gather, I have a rather soft spot for some of GM's most unloved, bashed vehicles; and I'm not really afraid to admit it. I have always liked the first generation Chevrolet Lumina for some reason, and I think it looks great in two door guise; in addition to being a two door, this example is the coveted-in-GM-circles Z34 model. Don't get the idea that it was a corner-carving sports machine, because honestly.. it really isn't. What Chevrolet specialized in in the early 1990s was appearance packages; the Beretta, the Camaro, the Cavalier, the Corsica, the Lumina, and even the Monte Carlo (which replaced the Lumina nameplate in 1995). It seems that this was Chevrolet's peak era for making cars that younger drivers not only wanted, but could afford.
When I was younger, I assumed that the numbers after the Z coordinated with the engine size in liters, like it does with most other alphanumeric car names; after coming to my senses that a Camaro Z-28 did not have a 2.8L V6, I proved myself wrong. Ironically, these did have the 3.4 DOHC in them, as did the Monte Carlo Z34s that replaced them. The same formula cannot be applied (obviously) to the other Chevrolet "Z" cars, thankfully. Doesn't mean I dismiss the other Zs, though, because I quite like this lineup of reasonably attractive and sporty cars.
Unfortunately, this Z34 is starting to succumb to the elements; yes, the paint is all there, and despite the obligatory GM rust, none of the paint is actually gone; it's just rusted through. Likewise, the trim is pretty much intact, too.. The ground-effects spoiler, and louvers are in great shape, should the rest of the car cave completely into its cancer that's slowly killing it right now. Overall, this is about the shape I expect a 1990s GM car to be in these days; even though the owner has tried to baby it to the best of his ability, it appears mother nature wants him to do otherwise. And that's no fun, because these cars were fairly rare in their day, and ever more-so now.
I'm glad I shot this when I did; even though these pictures aren't that old, it now has slightly more rust, and a huge dent on the driver's side door, possibly from coming in contact with a larger vehicle. I feel bad for this car, and the W Body geek in me wants to save it; hell, as a car enthusiast I want to save it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I own an 92' lumina Z34 that is in super great shape considering its a Quebec car! Also it was parked for 12years in a field,,, but all,, it was rustproofed tho,,, I am nearly done restoring it,, the body is in near new condition to begin with! After all that grease no wonder, anyways,, now its all in primer ready to paint it in spring,,, can't wait. So far,, mine is the only one around here and in the best condition (rust free),,, good article. Cheers, P-Paul from Quebec , Canada