Sunday, February 5, 2012

Boise Street Sighting: BMW 2002






Every summer, I go to Boise to see my aunt and uncle, and of course, the cars. Ever since my first visit, I realized this are was a goldmine for classic and rare cars. I simply don't see many pre-1990 cars here in Minnesota. On any given day in Boise, I could spot at least 10 cars I wouldn't dream of seeing in roadworthy condition back home in Minneapolis. Here, though, it's a different story; 1960s to mid 1980s vehicles are quite common. I'm used to seeing them as either collector cars, or ragged out beaters littering a shady part of the Twin Cities; in Boise, cars of this vintage are often seen as just "an older vehicle." Quite amazing, really.
While this example of BMW's legend is quite the immaculate princess the red one I shot last summer was, it still is in good nick for its age. Being a near forty year car is no easy feat, especially when you live in a land where domestics are still so prevalent. Being smack dab in the middle of one of the biggest truck capitals of the Northwest certainly doesn't help matters, but somehow this '02 keeps hanging on.
Finished in a period color, this example looks well-worn, but appears original-owned. While many '02s have either likely been turned to race cars at this point, or have been sent off to the crusher after being wrecked, this bright orange bugger keeps basking in the Idaho sun-- and by the looks of things, it will continue to do so till the end of time, or till it dies, whichever comes first.
I do respect that this vehicle is in factory stock condition, but it could stand to be cleaned up a bit. Rather than do my usual array of wheels/paint, and engine mods, and track it, I'd like to see this one returned to showroom-fresh condition. A simple chrome polish, a major wash, wax and buff of the paint, and if possible, some cleanup of the rust that does appear to be present. Once that's taken care of, the bright orange BMW will be ready to cruise again. Till then, it simply makes a decent daily driver.

No comments: