Sunday, February 26, 2012

Colin's Toybox: Hot Wheels Ferrari 512S














I've loved Hot Wheels as long as I can remember, and I've loved Ferraris as long as I can remember as well. In the later part of of the 2000s, Hot Wheels slowly began a turnaround in producing decent replicas of enthusiast cars to boost collector appeal; it worked initially, but then got rather old, with the cliche car choices and whatnot. These Ferraris kinda got my on the small scale bug that kept me going till I discovered I was running out of room.
Up close, this pair represents Hot Wheels detailing in its finest for a mainline car; no gaudy tampos, no off-color tint, and most importantly, the shape is not exaggerated in any way, shape, or form; a nice effort if I say so myself. But I'm biased-- I grew up on Hot Wheels Ferraris; I had several red F40s and obvious red Testarossas as well, and I also acquired several versions of the the common yellow Ferrari 250 Testarossa too. But I was a boy then; I didn't know much about the Ferrari heritage, nor did I care-- I just thought they looked cool. As I got older, I began to ride magazines such as Octane, Thoroughbreds and Classics, Evo, Car and Top Gear, and I got exposed to historic motorsports, and started learning about what real racing was. I developed a love for 1960s and 1970s race cars, and began to research and find out more about these cars. That's where the 512 comes in.
Children of the 1960s had Lesney products, and for the most part, children of the 1980s had Matchbox cars and Hot Wheels cars; children of the 2000s have Jada's DUB series, and a plethora of fantasy cars that do nothing for car enthusiasts; cars like the this classic Ferrari are not quite the dime-a-dozen Target find they once were. Instead, walking into Target brings rows upon rows of bland Camaros and no-name First Editions that will surely go unremembered years from now; to me, this pairing of vintage Ferraris represents a slow come back for Hot Wheels-- and one that's surely deserved and welcomed by car enthusiasts like me.

No comments: